Overseas expeditions, projects and NGO's
There are more detailed descriptions of some of these and others on the Gap Year Page
Voluntary work related to Marine Biology/ Conservation
- FRONTIER 3 month expeditions to Tanzania, Mozambique and Vietnam
- STPS Sea Turtle Protection Society of Greece
- ARCAS Guatemalan based, Olive Ridley Turtle conservation project.
- RALEIGH INTERNATIONAL Must be aged 17-25, diving operations on the Belize Cays
- GREENFORCE EXPEDITIONS Marine Projects in Borneo and South China Sea
- VSO Voluntary Service Overseas
- CORAL CAY CONSERVATION Projects in Belize
- OPERATION WALLACEA Based in SE Sulawesi in Indonesia
- BLUE VENTURES Run diving projects in Madagascar
- GLOBAL VISION Run conservation and community development projects, have 20 programs in over 15 countries see Gap year project information for further details.
- VOLUNTEER LATIN AMERICA Volunteer Latin America is a small and independent organisation committed to helping protect Latin America’s flora and fauna, its biodiversity. They offer a cost effective way to become an environmental volunteer in Mexico, Central and South America. Suitable for eco-tourists, research scientists, gap year students and travellers alike. Volunteer Latin America is a gateway to hundreds of environmental projects throughout the region.
Voluntary work overseas not directly related to Marine Biology
This site contains links to
other internet sites. These links are not endorsements of any products or services in such
sites, and no information in such site has been endorsed or approved by the website
- BUNAC Placements for recent graduates looking to travel and work in Africa and Jamaica for 3 months to a year, costs ~ £995. Address: 6 Bowling Green Lane, London, EC1R 0BD, tel 0171 251 347
- CONCERN WORLDWIDE Sends qualified and experienced medical, technical, natural resources and education development workers. Minimum age 21. Address: 248-250 Lavender Hill, London, SW11 1LJ, tel 0171 738 1033. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Concordia - Youth Service Volunteers International voluntary work camps (18-30 for European Camps). Projects include archaeological digs, building and conservation. Food & accommodation provided. Send a stamped addressed envelope for information pack. Registration fee £75. Address: 20-22 Haversham House, Boundary Rd, Hove, Sussex, BN3 4ET, tel: 01273 422218.
- PROJECT TRUST Aimed at school leavers who have taken A-Levels or Highers, places volunteers to work overseas
- THE NATIONAL CENTRE FOR VOLUNTEERING Overseas volunteer listings
- GAP ACTIVITY PROJECTS School leavers after A-Levels and 18/19 during project. Offers voluntary work overseas before University/Employment. Apply at start of final school year. Address: GAP House, 44 Queens Rd, Reading, RG1 4BB
- International Intern Programme Short term environmental projects in Tenerife, Cuba & Latin America. Volunteers receive subsidised living accommodation and discountflights, send A4 41p stamped addressed envelope. Address: Resource Centre, 55 Monmouth Street, London, WC2H 9DG, tel: 0171 240 6604
- INTERNATIONAL VOLUNTEER EXCHANGE A VSO & Prince's Trust Initiative for 17-25 year olds. 1 year exchange placements in UK and abroad. Apply to VSO, 317 Putney Bridge Rd, London, SW15 2PN. Tel: 0181 780 7509.
- UNITED NATIONS VOLUNTEERS Recruits highly qualified and experienced volunteers from all UN member countries. Placements are usually 2 years but some short-term humanitarian relief. Apply through VSO (see above for address).